First check your IP which your Raspberry Pi has got in your network from your DHCP Server or Router.
Angry IP Scanner (or simply ipscan) is an open-source and cross-platform network scanner designed to be fast and simple to use. It scans IP addresses and ports as well as has many other features.
If you found out your IP address connect with SSH to your Raspberry Pi.
# ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
or with ip
# ssh pi@yourIPaddress
User:pi Password: raspberry
cave@cave:~> ssh email@example.com
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #160 PREEMPT Mon Sep 17 23:18:42 BST 2012 armv6l
The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Type 'startx' to launch a graphical session
Last login: Sun Oct 21 15:03:41 2012 from cave.lan
pi@raspberrypi ~ $
make an update for your Operating System.
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get upgrade
then you can run
# sudo raspi-config
Start the update at first. Then change your settings for following points.
- change_pass - sets the password for your User "pi"
- expand_rootfs - to grow the second partition and fill the SD-Card
- memory split - define the amount of RAM CPU and GPU
- update - update the raspi-config tool.
- overclock - sets 5 different overclock settings. With this tool it should not void your warranty. After your system is running without problems, try out some
Now your system is updated and ready for use. You have also learned how to use the raspi-config tool.